Saturday 17 March 2018

EDINBURGH COFFEE - GEORGE STREET


Who doesn't love coffee? If you answer no I will forgive you, maybe you are a tea person. If you don't like either, what? I don't understand? 

I am forever getting messages from people saying they are visiting Edinburgh and asking me for coffee shop recommendations. So, welcome to my mini blog series on all of Edinburgh's coffee places. I decided to go based on location, so each post will be a section of Edinburgh and all the independent coffee places in those areas that I have been to and loved. I won't be including every single coffee place as there are honestly hundreds, but these are all my favourites. 

GEORGE STREET

George Street is a really central part of Edinburgh, and all of these places are super easy to find. They are all along one street (aside from Urban Angel which is just off it) and I love them all. George street can be found just behind Princes Street; the main shopping street in Edinburgh with all of the big shops. George Street is similar, but smaller stores that are slightly more pricey.

So without further ado, here is a mini run down of all of the coffee placed I love on George Street. 

Wellington Coffee





So Wellington Coffee is a one of my all time favourites. It is the first independent coffee place that I came to in Edinburgh, I used to work in the perfume shop above it and I just fall in love with it each time I go in. It is a really super tiny place, so this is more of a 'quickly stop off and grab a coffee' kind of place. It also gets very busy very quickly, and the turnover of customers is really quick as well. 













It is down some little steps, so not really accessible for disabled people or people with buggies and things like that. In the summer there is an outside seating area which is lovely if its sunny and warm! I tend to go in here if I want to sit and read for a little bit; there isn't any wifi so it is a nice place to not get too distracted. 








Burr and Co


































Burr and Co is another favourite. Still a slightly newer addition to George Street, this one is a really lovely place to sit and do work in, which I have done a few times. They always have a selection of really really lovely food, so it is a good place to also go for like a lunch date kinda thing? 

It is right on the street and is kinda sandwiched in between a restaurant and a hotel, which is all weirdly connected. As it is right on the street and not down some steps in one of Edinburgh's weird underground little shops, this does mean it can get super busy. As it is a great place for lunch, this is the time I find it gets really busy. But I think on only a couple of occasions I have had to go somewhere else because there isn't a seat. 

I really like working here. There is wifi which I *think* you get for an hour. But there are lots of little corners and a couple of window seats where you don't feel like you are in the way. I hate going to places where I want to work and feel like I am sticking out and people are getting slightly agitated that I am still there, wanting me to hurry up and leave. 

OH also if you don't like coffee get a hot chocolate. 10/10 would recommend, I got a bit teary when I had one purely because of how amazing it is. 


Lowdown Coffee


Lowdown is one I actually tend to forget about and it makes me sad because I love it so much! It is *literally* just across the road form Wellington and is also hidden away downstairs. It is another one that is still a little new. Well, I say that, it has been there over 2 years. But to me that is still new. 

Lowdown is a really really chilled out environment. It is very minimal, and it is one that not loads of people know about. There are some places in Edinburgh that are incredibly popular, but I think because this is another downstairs place it is easily missed and walked past. 

I haven't ever been in here when it's been super busy, but as they again do food, I can imagine there are peak times when it does tend to be a little busier than other times. Oh it also has wifi *yay*


Urban Angel


Urban Angel is one of the best brunching places. I tend to only go here when I want food and with someone else. It isn't the kind of place I would go to work or just chill with a coffee on my own. It is definitely a food-date-catch-up-oh-hi-i-haven't-seen-you-in-forever kind of places. 

I took Jack for pancake day and of COURSE we had pancakes. I don't think they carried on doing them but they have such an amazing selection of breakfast/lunch foods available all the time. It is on the pricier side, especially the smoothies they have. But it is all SO tasty and fresh and beautiful that by the time you are done you don't even care about the bill because it is purely SO worth it. 

This one is just off George Street, just down a street called Hanover Street. It is one you have to keep your eye out for if you haven't been before as it is really easy to walk past and not notice you have. 

Honestly if you are hungry in the centre of Edinburgh, Urban Angel is the ultimate place to go. 
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Such a great idea for a blog post, I loved this little series of your fav coffee spots in Edinburgh. Urban Angel looks like somewhere I would like to visit in particular, those pancakes look soo good!! :-) xx

    Helen | Helen’s Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you so much! I am doing them for all over the city, I just thought it would be super helpful to people who are visiting or live in Edinburgh to see them by where they are! :) xx

      Delete

© absolutely abbi. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig