Wednesday 4 April 2018

Film Review: Isle of Dogs

Fact - I am one of the biggest Wes Anderson fans ever. I force anyone and everyone to see at least one of his films when I am with them. His films are more than just films; they are beautifully curated pieces of symmetrical art, poured into the most perfect colour palettes you can imagine a film to be. 

So of course knowing that he was going to be making a new claymation film, I was buzzed off my lil tits. I was SO excited. And shall I tell you what made me more excited? DOG FRIENDLY SCREENINGS. Thats right, you heard me. 

I am a member of the Picturehouse cinemas, and I saw an email come out about dog friendly screenings of Isle of Dogs. I had been waiting for this film for about 5 months and I almost dropped my phone when I saw the email. I went on the the website straight away and of course, they had all sold out. 

But as all great things, it happened again. They decided due to the sheer popularity they would have one more. And you bet your ass I got tickets this time. It meant that I didn't get to see the film as soon as I wanted, but to see it with the presence of my pupper? It was SO worth the extra wait. 




The film is set in Megasaki in Japan, the film follows the story of a young boy - Atari Kobayashi - going on a quest to find his dog, Spots. Spots, along with the entire dog population, has been deported to 'Trash Island' due to a pandemic of dog flu taking over and spreading through all dogs. Atari , aided by a team of 5 dogs; Rex, King, Duke, Boss and Chief, go on the search for Spots. 

There is a parallel storyline progressing at the same time reflecting the increasing crisis in Megasaki. Atari's uncle, the mayor, is running for re-election. The front of his campaign is for the termination of every dog on Trash Island. 

I loved this film. I loved this film SO much. I am a massive Wes Anderson fan but I really loved this film. I thought the storyline was so precious - and really really fitting in this time. It showed a different generation spreading a form of hate and segregation, and the young people coming up to the defence of the minority, standing up for what they believe in. Now of course I'm not saying that the issues are the same, but there is some similarity to current events, no? 

Every aspect of the film was pure art. It has Anderson's iconic symmetrical flat frames, a distinct colour palette that stuck throughout the entirety. The cinematography was stunning, the stock animation was so well detailed, I still cannot believe that the film was shot in 445 days (seriously HOW??)I loved the use of the dual languages and no subtitles. It made me so desperate to learn Japanese because you just know that there are loads of hidden jokes on that side too. 

Overall, just go and see this film. I mean, it won't be as amazing as when I went to see it, because you won't be in a cinema filled with dogs. But it is still such a brilliant film and its so heart-warming, its really for anyone who loves dogs. Must see. 10/10.

PS if you are in London, go to the 180 Strand, they have an exhibition of all of the original sets that were used in the film!! It was INCREDIBLE. 

PPS here are some pictures from me and my pupper and the exhibition.







IMDB link here.



You can find the trailer for the film here.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© absolutely abbi. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig